This week I have a confession: over the weekend I ordered a knock-off Eames chair. The thing is, their furniture is SO dope – but also wholly unaffordable. You’re seriously supposed to pay something like $800 bucks for a chair? Even if you have loot, that’s pretty ridiculous to me. To be fair, Herman Miller has a lifetime warranty [at least on the Eames collection] – but unless that makes it a $200 chair and $600 for lifetime repairs, I’d say we’re getting screwed. It’s not like Charles and Ray are in the workshop, churning furniture out by hand. And wasn’t half of their concept that the furniture they produced would be affordable?
Well it should be here in a week or so, and I’ll be sure to let everyone know if it’s a piece of crap – I’m pretty hopeful that it’ll be hard to tell it’s a fake, so long as someone doesn’t come in to my apartment and flip it over looking for the little Eames sticker [something an architect is libel to do, as you know].
Moving on – here is the linkage for this past week. As always, if you come across anything you think I should be sharing with AMNP readers, drop me an email at email@example.com.
- Palladio the patron saint of the McMansion? [New Yorker]
- Freelon Adjaye Bond/SmithGroup and the National Museum of African American History and Culture [NY Times]
- BLDGBLOG on the ‘swine flu’ and the city [BLDGBLOG]
- Yale students blog about their experiences building a single-family residence in New Haven [Metropolis]
- Exhibition Review: In Situ: Architecture and Landscape [Metropolis]
- Hans Ulrich Obrist interviews J. G. Ballard, 2003 [Abitare, via Archinect]
- Bostoren lookout tower, by SeARCH [Eikongraphia]
- Archidose talks inflatable enclosures [Archidose]
- Koolhaas and Londonâ€™s Commonwealth Institute [bd online]
- SnÃ¸hettaâ€™s Oslo Opera Wins Mies van der Rohe Award [Bustler]
- Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth? [Arch Record blog]
- Europe, hilariously explained in map form [Swiss Miss]
That wraps up this weekâ€™s Ninjas on the â€˜Net. On your way out, remember to visit all our ninjas in the sidebar – support AMNP fam!